My husband and I were so blessed to have Anu, of AK Designs, help us design our space when we moved into our most recent apartment. Going into our move, I knew we had no plans to buy a house in the next few years, but I wanted our place to feel cozy and home-y. I wanted it to feel like a house. In comes Anu and her many genius ideas! She totally transformed our apartment into a cozy little space and I loved it so much, I asked her to write a guest post on how she did it! Check out her thoughts, as well as some pictures of our little home, below :)
For many apartment dwellers, decorating your space can seem impossible and pointless. After all, you likely won’t be staying there for more than a few years and it’s a rental property that technically belongs to someone else. However, there are 7 simple ways you can add character and style to your space, and transform your temporary apartment into a cozy and comfortable home.
1. Paint. If you are bold enough, paint the walls! It seems like a daunting task to paint a room knowing that you will have to paint it back to white before you move out, but it’s the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to add a pop of color and personality.
2. Window Dressing. Even though all apartments come with window coverings for light control and privacy, adding fabric panels to either side adds a touch of sophistication. With so many patterns and fabrics to chose from, they give a room softness and height, especially when suspended from ceiling to floor.
3. Plants & Flowers. Adding plants and florals to your decor serve as functional design elements, soften architectural elements and balance out overall design. They are inexpensive, readily available and fill your space with life and natural energy.
4. Artwork. Hanging personal photos and displaying art that embodies the colors of your current decor accessories are the easiest way to add visual interest in a room. It’s the perfect way to transform bare walls into something dynamic and interesting.
5. Personalized Accessories. Well-chosen accessories reflect your personal style and add that finishing touch to a room. This could be decor that speaks to your hobbies and/or interests, or items that have sentimental value. These types of objects usually have great stories behind them and can be great conversational pieces.
6. Bedding. As your bed is likely the focal point of your bedroom, matching sheets, duvet covers and pillows are essential in introducing color and texture. Layering with pillows and throws adds extra volume to the bed and creates a luxurious feeling, which isn’t a bad thing to come home to every night!
7. Area Rugs. Give bare floors a quick and easy makeover with an area rug. While some consider it to be an accessory, rugs can also be the foundation of a gorgeous room. It's a way to anchor and support a gathering space, while also defining difference spaces within a larger room.
There you have it! Apartment life is often regarded as less comfortable than living in a house. But with these simple suggestions, you can transform your living space, and perception, into a comfortable reality!
xo - Anu