I really hate when food gets wasted. It kills me. I've been working on being better about not letting my eyes be hungrier than my stomach and always taking home/cooking with leftovers. It's so sad to think about how much food is wasted everyday and on the flip side how many people in this world still go hungry. In an effort to not waste food (and also save money), I've set a goal for myself to not let any of my groceries go to waste. That being said....I desperately needed to deal with some bananas that were dangerously close to spoiling a couple days ago. Enter: my banana muffins...buuuuut wait there's a surprise! The only thing better than freshly baked goods, are freshly baked goods with melty chocolate on the inside. So I present to you: banana coconut truffle muffins.
Yes, coconut truffle. And it tastes even better than it sounds. P.S. I also got to break in my new KitchenAid mixer. How pretty is it?! Allllssooooo don't mind the paint samples on the wall and streaky countertop. Our house is still a work in progress...Okay done rambling. Recipe below!!!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
- 2 mashed bananas
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Lindt coconut milk chocolate truffles, crushed (about 5)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Coat the muffin pan with nonstick spray, butter (if you're feeling dangerous) or use liners. Mix together all your dry ingredients minus the sugar (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon).
- In your mixer (or mixing bowl) combine the mashed banana, egg, melted butter and sugar. Mix until it's smooth, then fold in the crushed chocolate truffles. Leave the chocolate in chunks, it will melt into the muffin as it bakes.
- Scoop the batter into the muffins, about 3/4 of the way full. You'll need to leave some room for the muffins to rise as they bake. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes (adjust up or down 5 minutes depending on the strength of your oven). Check with a toothpick to ensure they're done baking. Toothpick should come out smooth, except for the melted chocolate inside. This yields about 9 regular sized muffins.
- Pour a big class of milk or cup of coffee and ENJOY!
Let me know what you guys think! Happy baking!