I think we can all agree that there is only one good reason to wake up early: breakfast. It is my favorite meal, by a long shot. First of all, it includes my most favorite thing ever: coffee. Plus, you can basically start your day with dessert (belgian waffles, anyone?) and it's perfectly acceptable. There's just so much variety with what you can do...and with not too many ingredients. That being said, I present to you: avocado toast.
Quick and easy is always the way to go for breakfast, especially if you're pressed for time. Make this once and I promise you'll be hooked. And not just for breakfast. Not only does it make a great snack, you can also pair it with a salad for lunch!
So here's what you'll need:
1. One fresh, ripe avocado (1/2 avocado per toast) I squeeze them a little before buying. They should be soft but not so much that your fingers leave an indent. If you know you're going to be storing them for a couple days, you can go with some that are a little more firm. They'll ripen over time.
2. One slice of bread You can go with any kind you like! I prefer a whole grain or honey wheat.
3. Mascarpone Cheese Or any spreadable cheese. You can also go for butter/margarine.
4. Two egg whites Two egg whites usually fit perfectly on a piece of toast, but you can use as many as you like!
5. Garlic salt, fresh ground pepper and chili flakes You can add more or take out the chili flakes all together, depending on how much heat you want.
To Assemble: Pop the bread in the toaster and start cooking your two egg whites, about a minute on each side so they don't over cook. As soon as your bread is done, spread the cheese on top (it's easier to spread when the toast is a little warm). Top the toast with your cooked egg whites. Garnish with half the avocado, sliced up in long pieces. Sprinkle the garlic salt, pepper and chili flakes and voila! Enjoy!!
Happy hump day!!